Klaipėda Castle site

9°C
Priešpilio str. 2, Klaipėda
Listen
Routes

The territory of Klaipėda Castle is one of the oldest places in the port city and is the location from which the city grew. The castle site, which was closed and not accessible to the public for more than 20 years when ship repair workshop was here, is today alive and filled with history. Whilst visiting the branch of the museum of Lithuania Minor, Pilies Museum, which is located at the remaining Friedrich postern, you can see many archaeological finds found at this place, get acquainted with the development of the castle and the city and explore Klaipėda Castle and city layout of the 17th century.

Klaipėda Castle, which was known as Memelburg at that time, was first mentioned on July 29, 1252, in a document regarding the building of a wooden castle between Nemunas and Danė. The castle of the 15th century was fortified, and at the time was no different from the other castles belonging to the Order as it was a structure made of massive red bricks. In the 16th century the castle was restructured and in the 17th century, after Swedish attacks and fires, the castle’s defensive system was developed further. After the Seven Years’ War (1756-1763), the castle lost its military significance and was abandoned. The last buildings were destroyed between 1872 and 1874. At the beginning of the 20th century, some of the castle channels were blocked.

Archaeologists from Klaipėda University carried out excavation work during the summer of 2014 on the part of the castle’s territory in which a conference centre was later opened. It was the largest exploratory expedition not only at Klaipėda Castle site, but also one of the bigger ones in Lithuania. At the time, more than 2,000 finds were found, in about 5,000 square metres of soil, among them hooks, knives, arrowheads from a crossbow, rings, brooches, buckles, locks, iron nails, lead scales and copper plates. A great deal of livestock, birds and fish bones were also found. Archaeologists have uncovered stonework of the castle dating from the 14th and 15th centuries, i.e. red brick walls about 40 metres apart that confirm the castle was relatively large for the time. Among other finds were wooden constructions that supported the roof of the tower.

In 2016, excavations took place along the northern curtain wall at the site. Here, archaeologists discovered the earliest layer of the city, dating back to the second half of the 13th century. The finds mostly consisted of former fireplaces and structures of mostly residential buildings of 20 square metres. Specialists from Klaipėda University have also found examples of early pottery and jewellery. These and other finds made it possible to assume that this is where the history of the port city began.

Klaipėda Castle site

Priešpilio str. 2, Klaipėda

The territory of Klaipėda Castle is one of the oldest places in the port city and is the location from which the city grew. The castle site, which was closed and not accessible to the public for more than 20 years when ship repair workshop was here, is today alive and filled with history. Whilst visiting the branch of the museum of Lithuania Minor, Pilies Museum, which is located at the remaining Friedrich postern, you can see many archaeological finds found at this place, get acquainted with the development of the castle and the city and explore Klaipėda Castle and city layout of the 17th century.

Klaipėda Castle, which was known as Memelburg at that time, was first mentioned on July 29, 1252, in a document regarding the building of a wooden castle between Nemunas and Danė. The castle of the 15th century was fortified, and at the time was no different from the other castles belonging to the Order as it was a structure made of massive red bricks. In the 16th century the castle was restructured and in the 17th century, after Swedish attacks and fires, the castle’s defensive system was developed further. After the Seven Years’ War (1756-1763), the castle lost its military significance and was abandoned. The last buildings were destroyed between 1872 and 1874. At the beginning of the 20th century, some of the castle channels were blocked.

Archaeologists from Klaipėda University carried out excavation work during the summer of 2014 on the part of the castle’s territory in which a conference centre was later opened. It was the largest exploratory expedition not only at Klaipėda Castle site, but also one of the bigger ones in Lithuania. At the time, more than 2,000 finds were found, in about 5,000 square metres of soil, among them hooks, knives, arrowheads from a crossbow, rings, brooches, buckles, locks, iron nails, lead scales and copper plates. A great deal of livestock, birds and fish bones were also found. Archaeologists have uncovered stonework of the castle dating from the 14th and 15th centuries, i.e. red brick walls about 40 metres apart that confirm the castle was relatively large for the time. Among other finds were wooden constructions that supported the roof of the tower.

In 2016, excavations took place along the northern curtain wall at the site. Here, archaeologists discovered the earliest layer of the city, dating back to the second half of the 13th century. The finds mostly consisted of former fireplaces and structures of mostly residential buildings of 20 square metres. Specialists from Klaipėda University have also found examples of early pottery and jewellery. These and other finds made it possible to assume that this is where the history of the port city began.

Leave a comment
E-mail address

Comment*

Send
Comment sent successfully!