Lentainiai Hill Fort

6°C
Užupio str., Radikiai village, Domeikava, Kaunas district 
Listen
Routes

The Lentainiai (Lantainiai) Hill Fort, which is also known as Kleboniškis Hill Fort and Pekelka Hill Fort, is located on the right bank of the Neris river in Radikiai village in Domeikava subdistrict. The hill fort dates back to the period from the 1st millennium to the beginning of the 2nd millennium. From an archaeological point of view, the entire complex is valuable, including the hill fort itself, the settlement beneath it and the Radikiai burial ground.

The slopes of the Lentainiai Hill Fort are steep, and their height is about 30 metres. The oblong, oval hill fort platform is about 350 square metres in total. In the middle of the platform, a concrete bunker was installed in 1915. The construction ruined the hill fort, as the land of the north-western embankment was used for filling the bunker. Currently, there are several pines and a hump (about four metres high) on an uncultivated platform. The hump marks the location of the hill fort.

In 1911, the hill fort was explored for the first time. Liudvikas Kšivickis (Ludwik Krzywicki), a Polish man who explored more than 200 Lithuanian hill forts throughout his life, came to see this particular hill fort. During trips such as this one he’d normally be accompanied by his students who later became famous themselves, such as Povilas Višinskis and Vladas Nagevičius. However, Kšivickis (Krzywicki) didn’t find anything valuable here. Another expert in the field, Petras Tarasenka, visited the hill fort during the Second World War. In 1971 it was visited by representatives of the Institute of History. Some sources state that there was a church for people confessing the pre-Christian Baltic religion, in which black dogs would allegedly be sacrificed.

The settlement at the foot of the hill fort was investigated in 1938 and again between 2001 and 2004. It dates back to the second half of the 1st millennium. Several things were found at the wide, two-part territory of the settlement dating from the 15th century including fragments of old homesteads, columns, fireplaces, a sharpener, thrown pottery, the bones of different animals, pieces of clay plaster and burnt boulders etc. Today, in the southern part of the former settlement, there are gardens where the land is cultivated, meaning that the original cultural layer has been destroyed. Only the part of the settlement located near the Lentainiai Hill Fort isn’t damaged. Less than 2km away is the Radikiai burial ground dating from between the 2nd and 16th century.

You can reach the top of the Lentainiai Hill Fort by climbing some wooden stairs. From the top it’s possible to see not only the inspirational nature of Kaunas district, but also the blocks of flats in Šilainiai, one of Kaunas’ largest suburbs.

Lentainiai Hill Fort

Užupio str., Radikiai village, Domeikava, Kaunas district 

The Lentainiai (Lantainiai) Hill Fort, which is also known as Kleboniškis Hill Fort and Pekelka Hill Fort, is located on the right bank of the Neris river in Radikiai village in Domeikava subdistrict. The hill fort dates back to the period from the 1st millennium to the beginning of the 2nd millennium. From an archaeological point of view, the entire complex is valuable, including the hill fort itself, the settlement beneath it and the Radikiai burial ground.

The slopes of the Lentainiai Hill Fort are steep, and their height is about 30 metres. The oblong, oval hill fort platform is about 350 square metres in total. In the middle of the platform, a concrete bunker was installed in 1915. The construction ruined the hill fort, as the land of the north-western embankment was used for filling the bunker. Currently, there are several pines and a hump (about four metres high) on an uncultivated platform. The hump marks the location of the hill fort.

In 1911, the hill fort was explored for the first time. Liudvikas Kšivickis (Ludwik Krzywicki), a Polish man who explored more than 200 Lithuanian hill forts throughout his life, came to see this particular hill fort. During trips such as this one he’d normally be accompanied by his students who later became famous themselves, such as Povilas Višinskis and Vladas Nagevičius. However, Kšivickis (Krzywicki) didn’t find anything valuable here. Another expert in the field, Petras Tarasenka, visited the hill fort during the Second World War. In 1971 it was visited by representatives of the Institute of History. Some sources state that there was a church for people confessing the pre-Christian Baltic religion, in which black dogs would allegedly be sacrificed.

The settlement at the foot of the hill fort was investigated in 1938 and again between 2001 and 2004. It dates back to the second half of the 1st millennium. Several things were found at the wide, two-part territory of the settlement dating from the 15th century including fragments of old homesteads, columns, fireplaces, a sharpener, thrown pottery, the bones of different animals, pieces of clay plaster and burnt boulders etc. Today, in the southern part of the former settlement, there are gardens where the land is cultivated, meaning that the original cultural layer has been destroyed. Only the part of the settlement located near the Lentainiai Hill Fort isn’t damaged. Less than 2km away is the Radikiai burial ground dating from between the 2nd and 16th century.

You can reach the top of the Lentainiai Hill Fort by climbing some wooden stairs. From the top it’s possible to see not only the inspirational nature of Kaunas district, but also the blocks of flats in Šilainiai, one of Kaunas’ largest suburbs.

Leave a comment
E-mail address

Comment*

Send
Comment sent successfully!